Monday 9 March 2009

Lecture Three: 18th Feb - Body Extentions

I was away for this lecture due to illness, but I have found out the lecture was on the work of Rebecca Horn.

From looking at her website, I have found out that she is a performance artist. "Rebecca Horn has been creating an oeuvre which constitutes an ever-growing flow of performances, films, sculptures, spacial installations, drawings and photographs." (Taken from her website : http://www.rebecca-horn.de/pages/biography.html)

"Pencil Mask" is one of her body extention pieces. From what I can understand, the mask is made up of six straps running horizontally and three running vertically, and it's at the point at which these straps meet, that a pencil has been attached. From moving her face back and forth against a wall, the pencil marks recorded the movements.

"Finger Gloves" I believe to be another of Rebecca Horn's performance pieces, which was done in 1972. They were worn like gloves, but the finger form was extended with balsa wood and cloth. From Rebecca being able to see what she was touching, it felt to her as if her fingers were really extended and an illusion was created that she was actually touching what the extentions were touching.

If we think about it, we can all extend our bodies in some way, whether it's through plastic surgery or more simply through a piercing or tattoos added to the skin. Clothes can also be seen as an extention.

I have been told that we were asked which part of our body we would like to extend if we could. I think I would like to extend my legs, to get a greater feel of height, as all I've ever known is to be the shortest person, even when wearing heels!

No comments:

Post a Comment